Thursday, April 10, 2008

Riding the single woman zeitgeist

To summarize, a few things about me --
  • I canceled an engagement when I was 21, because I thought the guy wasn't stable enough to build a family with. (oh, by the way, his wife and five-year-old son seem to think he's doing a fine job these days.)

  • I dumped a guy when I was 25 because I was intimidated by his family wealth. Also, I thought he didn't believe in marriage and didn't want kids. Last I heard, he's still married to the woman he got pregnant two months after we broke up. They have at least one other kid.

  • I thought the series finales of both Friends and Sex and the City were ridiculous, because the most recent reuniting of the couples gave me no reassurance that they woudn't break up again as they had countless times before.

  • I am currently trying to conceive a baby with donor sperm -- I have another insemination attempt scheduled for tomorrow -- because I am 37 and unmarried.

  • I have a sweet boyfriend who is a good man and adores me, but I refuse to marry him because of religious and philosophical differences, but also because I'm just not feeling it in my gut.

  • My Dances-with-Wolves-style Indian name is Paralyzed By Indecision

  • I recently watched the movie Say Anything


Despite all these facts, it might surprise you to know that I did not write this article.

But I could have, clearly. Not only that, I should have (why am I not writing more?).

I also should have read this article several years ago, when it still might have done me some good.

Recently, the Lumberjack, the Captain, and a former boss have all put the moves on me in some way or another. It really doesn't help an indecisive type such as myself to be all "strong bidder" like this, when really I should just settle (down) and get married, already.

Sigh.

3 comments:

Woodrow said...

I was a very decisive young man who married very young and then divorced and became very indecisive.

Anonymous said...

That settling article is miserable. it seems like the only reason you would want to settle, based on what she wrote, is to have a family. But nobody she cites as having settled really seemed to claim that it ws good that they settled, adn many of the settlements she cites seem not so great:

The couples my friend and I saw at the park that summer were enviable but not because they seemed so in love—they were enviable because the husbands played with the kids for 20 minutes so their wives could eat lunch. In practice, my married friends with kids don’t spend that much time with their husbands anyway (between work and child care), and in many cases, their biggest complaint seems to be that they never see each other. So if you rarely see your husband—but he’s a decent guy who takes out the trash and sets up the baby gear, and he provides a second income that allows you to spend time with your child instead of working 60 hours a week to support a family on your own—how much does it matter whether the guy you marry is The One?

Maggie said...

More news from Slate on the decision to settle. We settle for men who make good husbands and providers, but we still crave the hottie to father our kids.

Is this what I'm doing by dating B and continuing with the inseminations?