Wednesday, September 15, 2004

I think I can, I think I can

Oh, dear God. Help me here people. I've been saying forever that I want to move to DC, and I've always claimed to want to be a food writer. So what did I see posted on MediaBistro today? An opening for editor of the Washington Post's weekly Food section!

I want it! I can do it! I love their food section, I read it every week!

Only one problem. Every job I've ever had has been offered to me. I have never successfully applied for a job. I don't know how to do it. I am hyperventilating just thinking about this. My reticence to sell myself in this way is exactly why my career is in the shape it's in: rather good, but not really what I want to be doing, or where I want to be doing it.

Funny, in most other aspects of my life, my policy has always been "why not?" or "it doesn't hurt to ask." But in two very important realms, love and career, I do the exact opposite, exactly where it matters most.

Really, I'm the ideal candidate for the job; I just have to convince them of that. I think I do have excellent experience; I just hate applying for jobs.

No comments: