Wednesday, November 08, 2006

What women want

My horoscope for today:
Now is a great time for you to get what you want out of life, whether it's a new sweetie, a better gig or just some peace and quiet for the day. You're filled with raw power and can use it however you want.

So what do I want? I have no idea. Yesterday I wanted a new job; today things are going more smoothly and my boss loves me. Monday A. joined me out for a birthday dinner, and it reminded me how much I still adore him and how he makes me laugh (despite his fixation with undergrads, but really, who am I to talk?); today I want to ask the Lumberjack to go furniture shopping with me. In North Carolina. Last week I was working on adding a shelf to my bedroom closet; this morning I seriously thought about switching to the downstairs bedroom.

Honestly, I never know what's best for me, and I think too much. I wish I could flop through life and let the cards fall as they will.

Ooh! In the spirit of post-election-day fabulousness (Democrats everywhere, no alcohol in the 7-11, yay gay marriage!, bye-bye Rumsfeld), and recalling the famous "Pick Maggie's Husband" vote of 1999 (I should really dredge up that website and archive it somewhere), let's have a ballot referendum. (yes, Auntie Amanda told me to stop dating by committee, and she had a point, but this is fun!)

Q1: Should I stay in the upstairs bedroom, or move downstairs?


Upstairs advantages -- upstairs, away from the rest of the house; large closet; bed's already up there.
Up disadvantages -- hot and stuffy; shares a wall with the upstairs apartment, I can hear them, and they can hear me (or they will if ever I get some play); no space for a double-wide dresser.
Downstairs advantages -- larger; closer to the bathroom; good feng shui; fits a wide dresser; upstairs kids won't hear me having sex over their Cheerios; I could use my old fabulous box spring.
Down disadvantages -- small closet; close to the rest of the house; I already bought a new split box spring for the upstairs bedroom.

Q2: Should I stick with it at the Paper of Record, or try to move to NPR?


Exposure and power versus intellectual cred and a sense of superiority. Also, do I want to be famous?

Q3: Wherever I stay, should I be trying for a byline or an on-air feature?


Would you want to hear my voice over your radio every afternoon, or maybe once a weekend like Ira Glass?

Q4: Does A get another chance, the next time he's free?


He is a serial monogamist, after all, you know he'll be looking for a new girlfriend five minutes after he breaks up with this one.

Okay, go! Vote early and often!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Q1. Downstairs. It's bigger and closer to the bathroom. Not to mention the feng shui of it.

Q2. Knowing you the way I do (or don't), I'd say that intellectual cred and a sense of superiority is a stronger motivation for you than exposure and power. So, NPR. And of course you want to be famous. Duh. Take voice lessons.

Q3. Go with the online dating service. I know how much you love beating dead horses, but... stop.

Q4. See Q3.

shane said...

Downstairs definitely. And NPR I would love to hear you. I could do guest spots. What would your show be? I don't care. It would be awesome.