Friday, September 16, 2005

Race Tomorrow!

I know you're all rooting for me. I wish the weather were as kind. Here's the latest from Accuweather:

Saturday
Warm and humid with sun and clouds; a shower in the morning, then a heavy thunderstorm.
High Temperature: 82° F
RealFeel®: 93° F

Dammit.

ANYway, if you want to come to Central Park and cheer for me (and I know you do), here's the plan:
  • 8:00 am -- I arrive at the park, and head for the Bag Check near:
    Bethesda Terrace, 72nd Street about halfway between east and west-side entrances.
    You know the spot, there are stairs down to the big pretty fountain.

  • 8:15 am -- do a short jog to warm up, and stretch

  • 8:45 am -- meet my running group at:
    72nd Street West Side entrance, across from the C train stop on CPW, at the benches.
    We'll all be wearing our red and black Jackrabbit t-shirts. I will also have on black shorts and probably a Fenway Park baseball cap.

  • 9:00 am -- leave the west-side entrance and head over towards the start/finish line, at:
    Bethesda Terrace (again)

  • 9:15 am -- race starts. I'll be starting out with the 11-minute mile group.

The race goes east on 72nd Street Transverse a short way, then north on East Drive to 102nd Street, then west to West Drive, back south to 72nd, and finishing where we started in the middle at Bethesda. The finish line is fun, but more crowded, and I'll most likely need encouragement on the northern end of the loop, around 102nd. It's your call where to go.
  • 9:35-9:45 -- pain and boredom setting in for me up on 102nd and top of West Drive.

  • 10:00-ish -- coming across the finish line, if all goes well!

My running group will stay around the finish to cheer each other on until we're all done, then we'll head over to Bag Check to pick up our stuff. Look for a big cluster of red t-shirts with rabbits on them.

Of course, if you don't come, I will cry bitter, bitter tears. Or maybe that'll just be the sweat ;) Or the rain!

No comments: