Monday, May 08, 2006

I'd better be getting a Mother's Day card.....

This weekend, someone called me a MILF. Yes, I'm over 30, but no, I don't have any kids, so it was particularly odd.

I have more to say on the subject, but since I'm so OLD, I have a responsible job that requires me to get up at 5:30 am. And since I'm so NOT AT ALL OLD AND I SHOULD REALLY GROW UP ALREADY, I was watching Family Guy in the basement of my fraternity house until late (with said MILF-labeller), and only got four hours of sleep last night. And a MILF needs her beauty sleep, you know.

Sorry about all the shouting there. You know how we old ladies get cranky and temperamental. I'm going to have some tea to soothe my nerves and do a spot of knitting.

3 comments:

Mike B. said...

5 bleepin' 30? I work in a distant suburb of New York and I get up at 7. Is this what it's like in the real world?

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's that you have to get up at 5:30 if you wake up in CT and have to work in MA. (Though I may be misinterpreting...)

Maggie said...

Nope. In fact, I get up at 5:30 every workday, have breakfast with my dad, commute through Boston traffic, and park a 15-minute walk away from my office (closest there is, sadly) to be at my desk around 7:30-7:45. The news doesn't sleep, and the site has to be updated before most people come into work at 9....

In theory, I'm then supposed to leave by 4, but I never do. I'm used to staying until 6, and somehow I still do. Once I left at 4:15, and once I left at 5. But for the most part, I'm working 10-11 hour days.

This is not supposed to be the permanent schedule. Eventually I'll live on the subway, which will cut my commute in half, and I'll be back on the later shift, when I won't have to come in until 8:30. But for now, my wild late nights are drastically curtailed.