Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Ice ice baby

There was a terrible ice storm in Boston Sunday night. Yesterday, the city was a sheet of ice. Advance salting did little to help the situation.

Yesterday morning I took out the trash in my pajamas and rubber-soled loafers. I was very careful. It was very very icy, despite the salt my neighbors had already thrown. I made it out to the curb no problem, but on my return, just as I reached my front steps, I fell.

I fell like a cartoon character. My feet went straight out from under me, my body went horizontal in mid-air, and I fell parallel to the ground, hitting my entire right side all at once -- shoulder, elbow, hip and knee. My hip, being the widest part of my body, and also being exposed by the by the boxer shorts bottoms on my pjs, bore the brunt of the impact:

As bad as this looks, I was lucky. I didn't hit my head at all, nor did I put out my hand to try to stop my fall, which probably would have broken my wrist. That said, it still hurts a lot, so if you see me crying, now you know why. Be nice.

2 comments:

Nina said...

ow ow ow ow ow ow ow.

Put ice on that bruise... oh... ow that looks painful.

So will you be in NYC on 3 days, or 10 days?

Also, what does it say about me that I now want to move to Boston so I can get in on some bad weather?

Maggie said...

I will be in NYC in three days, unless we get a doozy of a snowstorm or something.

And you should TOTES move to Boston! Do I have to list all the advantages again?

(though I have to admit, not much of a drinking culture. Whether that's a plus or a minus is your call...)