That may sound like a massive failure in my New-Years-Resolution efforts, but in fact, it was a huge victory. Why? Because that was the first time in as long as I can remember that I slept on the couch at all, let alone all night.
You still think it was a failure, or at least a slip-up? Well, you may have a point, but this is why I'm happy about it: I felt like utter crap this morning, like I had a killer hangover (which I did not, have been very good since Martini Sunday), or maybe as if I'd been hit by a truck. And this is good news, because it means that my body has gotten used to sleeping in a bed, and was complaining! I have reconditioned myself! I never thought it would happen.
Seems like the new quarter is a good time to take a look at how I'm doing on all my resolutions. Let's review.
I resolved there should be more of:
- blogging -- Success. I've been posting several times a week, the stats are way up, and I even get an occasional comment.
- writing -- eh, not so much, aside from the occasional longish blog post
- honesty -- trying really hard. One avenue in which I'm doing really well is telling my friends that I love them, as often as possible. I may not always be too good at being honest with my feelings, but I should let the people I care about know that I do.
- boys -- Five so far this year, with varying degrees of involvement and success. (more news on them later, if it seems appropriate or necessary.)
- whiskey -- success. Jameson's on the rocks is my poison.
- dancing -- going out tonight, but I think it's the first time this year. Unless you count me occasionally being the only one dancing in a club or at a show.
- going to bed at a reasonable hour (possibly difficult re: the last three list items) -- I am regularly asleep before 2:00, which is pretty good for me. More importantly, my sleep pattern is more consistent.
- getting to work reasonably on time -- utter and abject failure.
- trips to the gym -- failure. But I have been doing sit-ups and push-ups every morning.
- new job -- well, my old job has become something completely different, but it's still the same job. Enjoying it more, though it's still in New Jersey.
- salary -- no such luck. Not yet, at least.
- organization -- did some major filing and sorting. Still have a lot more to do.
- eye makeup -- gave it a good shot, but have been slacking recently. I still maintain that I get treated way better when I'm wearing it.
I resolved there should be less of:
- negativity -- working on it. The telling my friends I love them helps a lot with that.
- self-doubt -- ditto.
- size of my ass -- have been on a diet for a few weeks and have already dropped a pants size. The ass has been getting particularly good reviews.
- sleeping on the couch -- total and utter success!
- smoking -- hah. Smoking more than ever.
- pouting -- doing okay, could use some more work.
- belittling gossip -- I only gossip about myself these days.
- criticism -- jury's still out, will have to get back to you next quarter.
Obviously there's still a lot of work to be done, but I think I've made pretty good progress in three months. More news next quarter.